12 August 2009, 28 September 2010

Using information from several sites, I have been able to get the wireless working, although I did have a few issues getting the software source set up. At first I tried to add them using the software sources utility in the System -> Administrator menu, but although I added the source nothing changed in the GUI. After a bit of sluthing I edited the sources file directly and found the appropriate entry was all ready there, just commented out. The entry I had put in through the GUI was also there. So I deleted that one while I was at it.

This section assumes you have a working ethernet network connection, so using your favorite text editor, mine is Joe, start a terminal session and enter the following:

sudo joe /etc/apt/sources.list

Remove the "#" from the two entries for the backports repository, then save the file. You will need update the apt information:

sudo apt-get update

Then install the backports modules:

for jaunty sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty
for karmic sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic

Once that's done reboot and the wireless connection should now be active.

Still have no keyboard control over the wireless, but hopefully the clever people that help with things like backports and ubuntu mobile will be able to find the answer, as I will also continue to plug away at getting things working.